We accept applications for the Nurse Residency Program at www.childrensomaha.org twice per year. In general we accept applications for the Spring cohort starting in October and the Summer cohort starting in March.
Can I apply for the Nurse Residency Program before I pass my NCLEX exam?
Yes. The new graduate BSN nurse may apply for the Nurse Residency Program prior to the completion of the NCLEX exam. Prior to starting employment at Children’s, the nurse must possess a valid nursing license.
Stage 2 of Application for Nurse Residency:
Based on established criteria, selected candidates will be asked to complete stage 2 of the nurse resident application process. Stage 2 application information includes the following:
- 2 letters of recommendation; one of which must be a clinical faculty member using a specified format.
- Official school transcripts from BSN program
- Statement of intent to practice pediatric nursing (no more than 500 words)
- Must commit to work full time during the first year of the Nurse Residency Program.
- Must commit to one additional year of service after completing Nurse Residency Program, working at least 24 hours/week.
- Application is in 2 stages. Stage 1 and 2 of the application process must be completed by March 15, 2013.
- Stage 1: complete initial application via www.childrensomaha.org.
- Stage 2: If initial application information meets the Nurse Residency Program criteria, applicants will be asked to complete stage 2 of the application process.
Stage 1 Applications accepted February 6 – March 1, 2013
Stage 2 Application packets due March 1-March 15, 2013
Interviews for select candidates April 1-12, 2013
Final decisions for hiring April 26, 2013
Start Date June 3, 2013**
**June 2013 hires will be involved in super user support for the hospital’s transition to the EPIC computerized documentation system. This means that nurse residents will develop extensive knowledge about the documentation systems for patient care. Schedules may be adapted around NCLEX examination dates in June 2013.
When and how will I be notified of the decision to either offer me a residency or decline my application for the Nurse Residency Program?
You will receive a phone call with an offer for a nurse resident position at Children’s Hospital & Medical Center. This phone call will include the salary for this position. Phone calls will be completed no later than April 26, 2013.
Click here for more about the Nurse Residency Program.