Volunteer Opportunities at Children's Hospital & Medical Center
Whether you work full-time, go to school or are retired, Children's Hospital & Medical Center welcomes your interest in becoming a volunteer. We rely on the generosity of volunteers to help us provide the best care possible to our patients and families.
If you are interested in direct patient contact, you can assist by playing with children and providing support for family members. Other opportunities include assisting at Children's information desk, visiting with families in the surgery waiting area, working in the Children's Library, taking on special department projects and much more.
Whatever your area of interest, you will be providing your time and talent "so that all children may have a better chance to live."
Currently, we are accepting applications to fill weekday morning and early afternoon volunteer shifts.
Volunteers can donate their time in either our adult program or the Teen Connection program. The adult program is for people ages 19 and older. The Teen Connection program is for high school students ages 15 - 18. All volunteers are asked to make a one year commitment. Most volunteers come in once a week for a shift lasting between one and half to three hours in length.
Becoming a Volunteer
The first step toward becoming a volunteer at Children's Hospital is to fill out an application. Applications are available online or by calling the volunteer services department at (402) 955-4010. After submitting an application, volunteers must:
- Call the volunteer services department at 955-4010 to schedule an interview.
- Provide a letter of recommendation.
- Complete a health screening with the employee health department. This health screening consists of two appointments that must be attended within a required amount of time. You will be provided with health screening forms during your initial interview. Be sure to bring these forms to your initial employee health appointment.
- Adult volunteers must pass a criminal and child abuse background check. Your social security number is required to perform the background checks.
- After completing the required steps above, approved applicants will be invited to attend a new volunteer orientation session, as well as any additional required training sessions. Teen Connection volunteers will be asked to purchase a uniform shirt from Children's Hospital.
- The application process can take 4 to 6 weeks to complete.